When wood finishes need attention, French finds the waxes, dyes and varnishing cupboard. Waxes act as protective coating for wooden objects. Various dyed shellac sticks are melted to fill chips in the original finish. French used a blend of these various colored waxes was used to fill in small areas of loss to veneer on several Thomas Day dressers in the collection.
- Orasol dyes dissolved in solvents tint waxes, shellac, resin, and epoxy coatings.
- Trans tint dyes are concentrated for use in finish coatings or wood stains.
- Shellac flakes create fresh shellac for varnishing wood.
- Pumice stone and rottenstone polish fine furniture.
- Clapham Beeswax Polish, Briwax, Black Bison