Blueberry farmers need honey bees to visit each of the thousand or more flowers per bush at least six times for good fruit. Now, farmers, universities, and crop science industries are teaming up to understand the recent collapse of bee colonies.
NGSS Performance Expectation: Evaluate the evidence supporting claims that changes in environmental conditions may result in: (1) increases in the number of individual of some species, (2) the emergence of new species over time, and (3) the extinction of other species.
- How long do honeybees live?
- How many times does a blueberry blossom need to be visited by a bee to set fruit?
- How many bees live in this colony?
- How many colonies of bees does the blueberry farmer need per acre?
- What foods would we have to go without if we lost the services of honeybees?