Climatologists at the NOAA National Climatic Data Center in Asheville analyze weather data to explain the unusual winter of 2013-2014 and to forecast how a warming planet will affect climate in the future. Winters and summers are changing around the U.S. Watch as the NCDC looks deep into the relationship between climate and weather.
NGSS Performance Expectation: Use a model to describe how variations in the flow of energy into and out of Earth systems result in changes in climate.
- What is the difference between weather and climate?
- Is it weather or climate that tells you the type of coats you should have in your closet?
- Is it weather or climate that tells you which of those coast to put on?
- Is it climate or weather that triggers a large rain event?
- Is it climate or weather that determines the frequency of large rain events?
- Why does NOAA think a baseline of historical weather data is important enough to fill up 20 million filing cabinets a year?