Water flows downhill and with it comes pollution that affects life in and along the rivers and the ocean. Scientists analyze mountain fish and coastal blue crabs to learn what's flowing downstream in North Carolina's waterways.
NGSS Performance Expectation: Construct an argument supported by evidence for how increases in human population and per-capita consumption of natural resources impacts Earth’s systems.
NC Essential Science Standard (Earth and Environmental Science): Predict the safety and potential potability of water supplies in North Carolina based on physical and biological factors.
- Where does the water that leaves your toilet, shower, and sink go?
- What is the difference between stormwater runoff and wastewater?
- Make a list of personal care products and/or medicines you use/take? How long is the list of chemicals entering your wastewater stream?
- What is the impact of estrogenic compounds entering the water where fish and crabs live?
- What should we do about personal care products and pharmaceuticals going down the drain?
- What can tou do to protect local waterways? — EPA
- What happens after the flush? — EPA
- Endocrine Disruptors — National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
- What are Endocrine Disruptors? — EPA
- Image of Endocrine Disruption Process — Landes Bioscience