Scientists conduct land surveys to discover what is living in an area and determine the health of the land and water. And it’s usually the smallest creatures that provide the most information.
NGSS Performance Expectation: Develop a model to describe the cycling of matter and flow of energy among living and nonliving parts of an ecosystem.
NC Essential Science Standard (8th Grade): Summarize the relationships among producers, consumers, and decomposers.
- Are salamanders producers, primary consumers, secondary consumers or decomposers?
- What do salamanders eat?
- What eats salamanders?
- What vertebrate species, by weight, is the largest component of the Highlands mountain ecosystem?
- Highlands-Cashiers Land Trust History
- The Laurel Magazine: Salamander feeding on Salamander
- USGS: Seal Salamander Identification