Explore the ecosystems of Pamlico Sound, which scientists are aiming to protect through improved dredging activity and other environmental measures.
Alignment to NC Essential Standards
- 8.E.1.2 — Summarize evidence that Earth’s oceans are a reservoir of nutrients, minerals, dissolved gases and life forms.
- Students will describe the functions of three essential intertidal water habitats.
- Describe three functions of oyster reefs.
- Describe three functions of salt marshes.
- Describe three function of sea grass.
- What is dredging, and what challenges does it pose for the underwater habitats in Pamlico Sound?
- How do salt marshes help keep water clean?
- Why is sea grass an important factor in reducing carbon levels?
- What are three options environmentalists are considering as the locations for dredged material in the Pamlico Sound?