Everyone knows that mice squeak, but researchers at Duke University have discovered that male mice sing as well — specifically when they are courting females.
NGSS Performance Expectation: None
NC Essential Science Standards (Grades 6-8): Understand the processes, structures and functions of living organisms that enable them to survive, reproduce and carry out the basic functions of life
- Describe the conditions under which a) mouse songs are complex, and b) mouse songs are simple.
- What is the highest frequency that humans can generally hear?
- Why are researchers of autism interested in studying mice songs?
- What Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family and Subfamily, Genus, and Species does the common house mouse belong to?
- Male Mice Song Syntax — Frontiers in Behavioral Neuroscience
- The Mystery of The Singing Mice — Smithsonian Magazine
- Evolution of Rodents — Britannica
- Mus Musculus, The House Mouse — Tree of Life Web Project