Sargassum is brown algae that washes up on the beach. New research shows that it is also a complex sea community and source of biodiversity in the Sargasso Sea.
Alignment to NC Essential Standards
- EEn.2.7.3 — Explain how human activities impact the biosphere.
- Students will define biodiversity.
- Students will describe the characteristics of sargassum as a valuable ocean resource.
- nutrient cycling
- nitrogen fixation
Watch the NC Science Now video Sargassum Secrets. Share notes with another student.
- Sargassum has recently been classified as an “Essential Fish Habitat.” What is it about sargassum that makes it essential?
- From the context of the video and other resources, define “nutrient cycling” and “nitrogen fixation.”
- Define biodiversity.
- Infer from the materials: Why is biodiversity important to the hydrosphere?
- In a short paragraph, evaluate one advantage and one potential disadvantage of using turbine-powered energy sources that attach to the ocean floor.