What kind of geology makes the best clay for the pottery industry? Watch as a third generation potter analyzes the dirt he digs up and then converts it into fine art.
NGSS Performance Expectation: Analyze geoscience data to make the claim that one change to Earth’s surface can create feedbacks that cause changes to other Earth systems.
NC Essential Science Standards: Earth & Environmental Science — Explain how natural actions such as weathering, erosion, and soil formation affect the Earth’s surface.
- What is the geologic history of clay?
- Why are some places on Earth better for finding potting clay than others?
- What are the most important features of the clay that a potter considers when he is digging up clay?
- Learn NC: Why does the Piedmont have so much clay and how is it used?
- Woodland Pottery Sourcing in the Carolina Sandhills
- QUEST North Carolina: What’s in a Clay? Finding the right minerals for Salt Glaze Pottery