Researchers use the information gathered from tracking buoys in the surf to create computer models that will not only better predict rip currents but also teach swimmers how to avoid them.
NGSS Performance Expectation: Plan and conduct an investigation of the properties of water and its effects on Earth’s materials and surface processes.
- What is the difference between the rip currents off of North Carolina and the rip currents off of Australia?
- What is the difference between fresh and saltwater rip currents?
- What types of information are the yellow buoys gathering?
- Why is it important to find out what people think about rip currents?
- Michigan Sea Grant: Currents 101
- Examine Global Surface Currents — PBS LearningMedia
- University of Delaware Sea Grant: Research on Rip Currents