Precision medicine is a new way to fight cancer. Scientists use a person’s unique genetic makeup to develop an individualized treatment plan to target cancer cells.
NGSS Performance Expectation: Ask questions to clarify relationships about the role of DNA and chromosomes in coding the instructions for characteristic traits passed from parents to offspring.
NC Essential Science Standard: Biology — Understand the application of DNA technology.
- What does the phrase “n of one” mean?
- What makes this precision approach to medicine so unique?
- Contrast precision medicine with historical methods of treating cancer.
- National Institutes of Health: Precision Medicine Initiative
- Fact Sheet: President Obama’s Precision Medicine Initiative
- The Problem with Precision Medicine — The New Yorker