Entrepreneurs in Asheville take green vehicles to a new level, utilizing mechanical engineering and electronics to create an electric assist recumbent vehicle.
NGSS Performance Expectation: Construct, use, and present arguments to support the claim that when the motion energy of an object changes, energy is transferred to or from the object.
Grade 7 NC Essential Science Standard: Understand forms of energy, energy transfer and transformation and conservation in mechanical systems.
- Where does the initial energy come from to move the bike?
- How does pedaling a wheel move a regular bicycle forward?
- How does pedaling a wheel generate electricity on the electric trike?
- How is that electric energy stored for future use?
- How does a battery store energy?
- How are magnets involved in this process?
- Outrider USA: Ultralight Adventure Vehicles — Company website
- Old Dominion University: Electricity & Magnetism Lecture Demonstrations
- Turning "Whatever" into Electricity: The Guts Behind the Gadgets