A deep dive into a century of data stores at NOAA’s National Center for Environmental Information reveals new weather warnings as the Earth’s climate changes.
Alignment to NC Essential Standards
- EEn.2.6.4 — Attribute changes in Earth systems to global climate change (temperature change, changes in pH of ocean, sea level changes, etc.).
- Students will describe a climate model and what it measures.
- Students will describe the overall weather trend that has emerged since the 1970s.
Students will view the NC Science Now video New Weather Warnings. Print out the accompanying questions for them to answer as, or after, they watch the video:
- What is the NCEI, and what national agency is it affiliated with?
- What is collected and held in the NCEI archives?
- How much weather data does the NCEI collect each year?
- Describe the overall weather trend that has emerged since the 1970s.
- Summarize, in as much detail as you can, the specifics of the climate trends recorded over the past 50 years at the NCEI. Include in your answer the following:
- Overall trend
- Trend that occurs during times of day
- The effect of the trend on the atmosphere
- The impacts of the trend on weather events
Lead students through Activity 2 of the “Climate Models: Predicting the Future” Lesson Plan. Draw the data table on the board, and fill in the spaces. Have students do the same in the Student Worksheet, found in the Educational Resources sections of the Climate Models web page.
Students will view the NC Science Now video Modeling Your World, taking notes on the following discussion point:
NEMAC student Sarah Gibson says in the segment that “land use decisions and climate change have a direct impact on the community.” What does she mean by that, and what are some examples that she might be referring to?
Have students compare and contrast media reports about climate change. They can use resources below, as well as those they find conducting their own research.
- Climate Change: How do we know? — http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/
- Top Ten Reasons Climate Change is a Hoax — http://www.globalclimatescam.com/opinion/top-ten-reasons-climate-change-is-a-hoax/
- Short Answers to Hard Questions about Climate Change — http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/11/28/science/what-is-climate-change.html
- Climate Change: The Case of The Missing Heat — http://www.nature.com/news/climate-change-the-case-of-the-missing-heat-1.14525
- 5 Scientific Reasons that Global Warming Isn’t Happening — http://townhall.com/columnists/johnhawkins/2014/02/18/5-scientific-reasons-that-global-warming-isnt-happening-n1796423
- Global Warming Is Happening — http://www.ucsusa.org/our-work/global-warming/science-and-impacts/global-warming-science#.WDCXDRTwCiU