The risk of liver damage is one of the biggest challenges to the development and approval of new medications. Researchers at the Hamner Institutes are developing a mathematical model of metabolite biomarkers to better predict drug-induced liver injury, or DILI.
NGSS Performance Expectation: Design a solution to a complex real world problem by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable problems that can be solved through engineering.
- What does the liver do?
- What is a hepatic lobule?
- What is the big problem the researchers in the video are intent on solving?
- How is this big problem being broken down into more manageable pieces?
- How does drinking alcohol impact the liver?
- How does too much acetaminophen impact the liver?