Researchers at UNC Chapel Hill School of Medicine are studying the ways in which brain cells communicate with each other. Their findings could lead to new methods in treating mental disorders such as depression and schizophrenia.
Ask students to discuss the facts they know about the brain. How does it function? What size is it? How do they think it communicates with the rest of the body?
- Zapping the Brain With Electricity Boosts People’s Creativity — Discover Magazine
- Brain Waves Reveal Deception — PBS LearningMedia
- Secrets of the Brain — National Geographic
- How is the Brain Like a Guitar? — Brain Facts
- What is the cerebral cortex, and what occurs there?
- Define the four lobes of the cerebral cortex, and describe the function of each one.
- Describe trans-cranial current stimulation.
- The notion of communicating directly with the brain holds great promise. Can you think of any potential consequences or downsides this capability might entail?