Bones tell the story of a person's life. Forensic anthropologists at NC State University use advanced forensic science techniques to identify victims and solve crimes. Their work in using skeletal measurements and chemical composition of bones to identify a person's origin has drawn worldwide attention.
NGSS Performance Expectation: Construct a scientific explanation based on evidence for how environmental and genetic factors influence the growth of organisms.
- What kind of subjects do forensic anthropologists study?
- What can bones tell us about the life of an individual?
- How can ethnicity be learned from bones?
- What is ethnicity? Is it the same as race?
- Is race an illusion?
- PBS History Detectives: Forensic Anthropology — Description of the purpose and methods of the discipline with links to video investigations.
- Race - The Power of An Illusion — Online companion to 3-part series on race in society, science, and history.
- Comparing mtDNA Sequences to Learn about Human Variation — A 2-3 day lesson on our species shared ancestry.
- History Detectives: Crack the Case: History’s Toughest Mysteries — A 3-5 day lesson plan about forensic anthropology in history.