Aquaponics is a system for farming fish and crops together in a mutually beneficial cycle. Fish produce waste that becomes a fertilizer for plants. Plants suck up the nutrients as they purify the water for the fish. The system is efficient and environmentally friendly. A farm is Norwood, North Carolina is pioneering the technique.
NGSS Performance Expectation: Use a mathematic representation to support claims for the cycling of matter and flow of energy in organisms in an ecosystem.
- What are the stages of the nitrogen cycle depicted in this video?
- What happens if ammonium is not converted into nitrites and nitrates?
- What are the stages of the carbon cycle depicted in this video?
- What stage of which cycle holds the greatest risk for the farmer?
- Conduct a SWOT (stengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats) analysis of an aquaponic system.
- Backyard Aquaponics — A supplies and education website
- Asheville Aquaponics — Supplies and design
- Aquaponics Journal — Articles, blogs, and events related to aquaponics
- University of Hawai'i: Nitrogen Transformation in Aquaponic Systems — The chemistry of nitrogen in aquaponics
- Filtration Media — How to provide good surface area for beneficial bacteria