The Appalachian Mountains, with dense forest cover, make western North Carolina a unique laboratory from which to monitor air quality and atmospheric conditions and their impact on ecosystems.
NGSS Performance Expectation: Analyze geoscience data and the results from global climate models to make an evidence-based forecast of the current rate of global or regional climate change and associated future impacts to Earth systems.
NC Essential Science Standard (Earth and Environmental Science): Explain changes in global climate due to natural processes.
- What natural processes cloak the Smoky Mountains in a blue haze?
- What are volatile organic compounds?
- How has climate change impacted the Smoky Mountains?
- What is the connection between the blue haze and the climate?
- What types of data are the researchers collecting to answer that question?
- Volatile Trees – NASA Earth Data
- Three Wavelength Integrating Nephelometer – NOAA: Earth System Research Laboratory
- Monitoring Climate Change in the Smokies – National Park Service